For children, theme parks and exciting new attractions are the best part of a vacation, offering adventure with thrilling rides, exhibits and more. Oftentimes, a day at the theme park is special and is a time when kids are free to run around and indulge in sweet treats. It’s a day where normal rules still have to be followed, but can be bent a little.
As fun as a day at a theme park is for kids, for parents it can be a stressful, costly and sometimes overwhelming outing. Not only are parents responsible for getting kids ready for the day and planning the trip, you have to factor in cost, parking, lunch and what seems to be a never ending list of things to do and remember. With three major theme parks in San Diego, you may not know where to start or what to expect, so the Vagabond Inn San Diego has created a short list of insider tips that all families should be aware of.
SeaWorld San Diego
- Rides and roller coasters typically have less of a wait in the mornings.
- If you want to dine with Shamu or participate in any other dining shows and events, advance reservations are highly recommended.
- Check out the schedule of shows when you enter the park. After deciding which shows you want to see, arrive in at the entrance around 10 minutes prior to the scheduled time.
- Parking at SeaWorld San Diego is $15 for regular vehicles.
San Diego Zoo
- Parking at the Zoo is free, but is first come first serve so arrive as early as possible
- The park requires A LOT of walking, if you’re traveling with children, you’ll want to bring a stroller and should take advantage of the Zoo’s bus tour and tram.
- Wear comfortable shoes and don’t forget sunscreen.
- Food and drink are allowed, bring your own snacks to save money. For other money saving tips to the zoo, click here.
- There are many carnival games and food kiosks that are cash only so stop at the ATM prior to visiting the theme park.
- Bring a spare change of clothes as there are many water rides and features in the park.
- If you’re spending the entire day at the park, consider going to the LegoLand water park as well, it is great for kids of all ages.
- Don’t forget your camera, there are many opportunities for pictures!
While there are only so many ways to be prepared, the best way to enjoy your day is to relax and have fun!